donderdag 5 december 2019

Camilla: Violetta and the Pearl 5

I left the golden cave of Mumus bedroom and walked through the lang hall into the small kitchen. Mu was busy drying making elderberry syrup. I sat down at the kitchen counter. She let the dried berries simmer in water until it became a dark blue-black thick soup. Then she strained the berries, keeping only the dark syrup, mixing it with raw honey, cloves and cinnamon. It was a thing. She would have me take a spoon every day “to keep me sparkly and healthy”. It was never the other way around with her. Sparkles before health, definitely. 

I waited for whatever it was that she wanted to share with me, I wasn’t going to ask for it, since it was probably going to be uncomfortable. Sugar coating deficient.

-       Do you know what I find really fascinating, ice princess?

-       I really have no idea, Mu.


-       Back at that ice rink today…there were so many peope walking around, people skating, people shopping for groceries, people just watching others skate…our small town just buzzing with December jitters. 

-       Yeah? 

I didn’t like where this was going at all.

-       There were only two persons in our whole community who were doing their best to ignore each other. Do you know who they were?

-       No idea. Is this important Mu? I really have stuff I have to do today.
My ears were burning and felt hot.

-       Those two lovely individuals, my dear, are you and Ruben Nous.

Auntie Mumu was pouring the dark, oozing syrup into mason jars, spooning that sticky goodness into winter reserves for the dark winter months. It really bugged me that it was impossible to hide anything from this lady. She was a pain in the neck.

-       Isn’t that just fascinating?

-       I don’t know what you are talking about, Mu.
 

-       He is quite a special boy if you ask me. He is not sharing his gifts with the world yet, but he’s got some special gifts for sure. And he really likes you, Chrys.


I put a spoon of the warm syrup in my mouth. The blue goodness covered my teeth, throat, warmed by chest, my heart, landed as glowing cotton balls in my stomach. Stupid Mu. She always meddled int hings that were none of her business.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten